FORUM: Physical Therapy for Managing Multiple Sclerosis
Time & Location
About The Event
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an unpredictable, often disabling disease of the central nervous system that disrupts the flow of information within the brain, and between the brain and body.
- Central nervous system controls everything we do.
- The exact cause is unknown
- Damage to myelin leads to disruption of signals to/from the brain
March is Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month! Our goal for this FORUM is to provide insight, guidance, support, and empowerment for managing the symptoms of multiple sclerosis through physical therapy, fitness, or other means for yourself, a friend, or family member.
Benefits of Physical Therapy for Patients with Multiple Sclerosis:
- Maintain flexibility, functional strength, endurance, and balance for ADL's
- Gait training, assistive device training (walker/WC)
- Transfer training (sit<>stand, bed mobility, curb/stair negotiation, in/out car/bed)
- Keep patients active doing what they love to do
- Provide additional resources to maintain independence
Who should attend?
- People with MS (recently diagnosed, those wanting to learn more or need encouragement to be more active)
- Family members or friends of people with MS
- Medical providers who work with MS patients
- Established with MS who can share experiences and testimonials to PT/fitness programs OR have used NMSS resources
- Anyone who wants to learn more about how to support MS Society
Why should people attend?
- To learn more about MS and how you really can make a difference for yourself or someone you love with MS!
- Learn what research has done to date to find a cure
- Learn about the benefits of having a health & wellness team: PT, Fitness, Massage, MD's, MS Society to keep you active, safe, and independent
- Learn about ways you can support and participate in building a bigger and stronger community for a common cause (NMSS donations/volunteer opportunities, Bike MS, MS Walk)
What will be discussed/done?
- Education about the 4 types of MS
- Common Symptoms
- How it affects daily function
- Benefits of PT, specifically from an Applied Functional Science philosophy and approach to evaluation and treatment
- Active MS Patient attendee participation and demonstration
- Testimonials/experience shared by patients with MS